Saturday, August 4, 2012

Strides for Soul 5k - 4th August 2012


I spotted this a few days beforehand and thought it might be kind of cool to do with the kids. I felt a little bad for not running with them at the Passion for Life 5k, earlier in the year, so I thought I'd make up for it with this one.

We registered on the morning or the race, with myself, Gordon, Liam & Iona running the 5k and my dad, unknown to him, walking. Registration was very simple, as the race was very small, we got a nice white t-shirt, one of the better ones, I'd say. The race was chipped for the start and finish, which was quite surprising for its size. I was a beautiful morning, and we were ready to rock 'n' roll. The first half mile went well, the roads weren't closed but the field was small enough that it didn't really matter. It was just about then that the kids started to struggle a wee bit, Liam was getting a pain on his foot that he has had for a week or so and Iona was complaining of stomach pains. The rest of the run was a mixture of long walks and short runs, purely dictated by the kids.

Finished at just over 52 minutes, Gordon met us at the finish line, where he told us about his very respectable 15th place (~25 minutes), papa finished a couple of minutes after us.

It was just great being out there with them, all I can do is encourage and support them and try to instill in them a positive attitude to exercise.

L to R - Gordon, Liam, Papa & Iona
White cotton shirt, footprints are silver, kinda cool, logo though


No comments:

Post a Comment