Up bright and early as usual for race day although my preparations, which involved carb loading a few beers the previous evening were less than perfect. The weather was gorgeous and we headed out to the zoo. I was a wee bit concerned about parking as the 5km was starting at 8am, while the 10km wasn't until 8:45am, but they were completely unfounded as we got parked in the multi-storey, no problem.
The place we bedlam, with people milling about all over. 5km runners were starting to appear and we decided to just head down to the starting line after a short sojourn to the rest room. I was feeling pretty good about the run as myself and Bren had decided to drive the course the previous day, when I was picking up my packet. The course is very flat, through a nice residential neighborhood of established homes, all in all very civilized. This was going to be my biggest race to date, with over 600 runners expected in the 10km.
A couple of general comments on the event as a whole;
- Three water stations was nice and they were perfectly situated
- Plenty course marshalls kept the traffic away
- Beautiful area for running
- A tech shirt as opposed to a regular t-shirt would have been nice
- What was the deal with running out of water just after I crossed the finish line, it also took me a good two or three minutes to find water? The info that there was plenty inside the zoo, a ten minute walk away wasn't much consolation.
Here's how the Garmin saw it - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/115452498
Results are in - http://results.active.com/pages/searchform.jsp?pubID=3&rsID=117123. I'll take it, overall 293 out of 630, 183 out of 256 men, 29th out of 41 in my age group,