Sunday, March 18, 2012

Shamrock 'n' Roll 10k, Plymouth MI; 3/18/12

It was a beautiful, unseasonably warm day for a run in south east Michigan. I didn't have too high hopes for this run, what with me doing very little running prior and a few beers the day before. We got there about 1/2 hour before the start and struggled to find parking, the place was absolutely mobbed. Bren decided to kick me out of the car so I could go and get my race packet and she could try and find a parking space, we met up about 15 minutes later. We were going to be starting and stopping at the same place as the Halloween run, but the route I think is a little different, but no big deal, Plymouth is very flat and picturesque, so it was still going to be a pleasant race.

I met a friend during packet pickup and again right at the start of the race. I was a little concerned how it was going to be at the start as the Halloween race was a nightmare, too busy and it took a while for the race to spread out and acquire some gaps to run into. The horned sounded and we were off, walking slowly, but by the time we got to the starting line, there was a little space and I could actually get to my 10k without a great deal of difficulty. The run went as well as I could have hoped for, what with being hungover and out of practice. I used the aid stations for drinks and didn't walk. I was a little disappointed to see my old friend 'pace creep', was back as each mile was slower than the previous on, I even didn't have it in me for a kick at the end.

On crossing the line, I got my medal and directed towards the a snacks, which were laid out well and a great relief especially with the whole, 'no waiting' thing.

Finished in 53:34.2, which is about 30 seconds off my PR, so not too shabby

Nice route, well marshalled, not too busy, cool medal, plenty snacks at the end. All in all quite a good day out

White tech shirt with green side panels,
one of my favorites.
How Endomondo saw it - http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/jCsStYkRhf0

How Garmin saw it - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/159077478

Results - http://www.everalracemgt.com/results/full.php?2012/shamrock-n-roll-10k.html# 9

41st out of 101 in my age group; 376 out of 1322 overall, not bad...

No comments:

Post a Comment